Der Wat Chedi Luang (Thai วัดเจดีย์หลวง, etwa Tempel der königlichen Stupa) ist eine buddhistische Tempelanlage (Wat) in Chiang Mai in der Provinz Chiang Mai. Er ist ein Königlicher Tempel Dritter Klasse.
Wat Chedi Luang (Thai: วัดเจดีย์หลวง, lit. temple of the big stupa) is a Buddhist temple in the historic centre of Chiang Mai, Thailand. The current temple grounds were originally made up of three temples — Wat Chedi Luang, Wat Ho Tham and Wat Sukmin.
The construction of the temple started in the 14th century, when King Saen Muang Ma planned to bury the ashes of his father there. After 10 years of building time it was left unfinished, later to be continued after the death of the king by his widow. Probably due to stability problems it took until mid-15th century to be finished during the reign of king Tilokaraj. It was then 82 m high and had a base diameter of 54 m, at that time the largest building of all Lanna. In 1468, the Emerald Buddha was installed in the eastern niche. In 1545, the upper 30 m of the structure collapsed after an earthquake, and shortly thereafter, in 1551, the Emerald Buddha was moved to Luang Prabang.
Art der Sehenswürdigkeit:
Infos zu Geokoordinaten/Quellen:
Geokoordinaten (Y,X bzw. LAT,LON):
Koordinaten aus Openstreetmap (sehr zuverlässig)
Infos und Links: