Reiseführer Phoenix Park

Reisekarte    HOME             

Reiseinformationen zu: Phoenix Park in Dublin

Phoenix Park

zur Kartennavigation Phoenix Park

Sehenswürdigkeiten in Dublin
ohne Geokoordinaten:


    Der Park gilt als der größte Stadtpark der Welt und wird von Gesetzen vor einer weiteren Bebauung geschützt. Besonders am Wochenende tummeln sich hier Freizeitsportler oder Familien, die die freilaufenden, sehr zahmen Rehe beobachten. Unter anderem befindet sich im Park selbst die Residenz des amerikanischen Botschafters und des irischen Präsidenten.
    Phoenix Park (Irish: Páirc an Fhionnuisce) is an urban park in Dublin, Ireland, lying 2–4 km west of the city centre, north of the River Liffey. Its 11 km perimeter wall encloses 707 hectares (1,750 acres), one of the largest walled city parks in Europe. It includes large areas of grassland and tree-lined avenues, and since the seventeenth century has been home to a herd of wild Fallow deer. The English name comes from the Irish fionn uisce meaning "clear water". The Irish Government is presently lobbying UNESCO to have the park designated as a world heritage site. After the Normans conquered Dublin and its hinterland in the 12th century, Hugh Tyrell, 1st Baron of Castleknock, granted a large area of land, including what now comprises the Phoenix Park, to the Knights Hospitaller. They established an abbey at Kilmainham on the site now occupied by Royal Hospital Kilmainham. The knights lost their lands in 1537 following the dissolution of the monasteries under Henry VIII of England. Eighty years later the lands reverted to the ownership of the King's representatives in Ireland. On the restoration of Charles II of England, his Viceroy in Dublin, the Duke of Ormonde, established a Royal Hunting Park on the land in 1662. It contained pheasants and wild deer, making it necessary to enclose the entire area with a wall. The Park originally included the demesne of Kilmainham Priory south of the River Liffey, but when the building of the Royal Hospital at Kilmainham commenced in 1680, the Park was reduced to its present size, all of which is now north of the river. It was opened to the people of Dublin by the Earl of Chesterfield in 1745.
Art der Sehenswürdigkeit: green

Infos zu Geokoordinaten/Quellen:
Geokoordinaten (Y,X bzw. LAT,LON):   53.37666700,-6.33861100

Quelle:   Koordinaten aus Wikipedia (zuverlässig)

Infos und Links:

N/A