Reiseführer Trim Castle

Reisekarte    HOME             

Reiseinformationen zu: Trim Castle in Newtown Trim

Trim Castle

zur Kartennavigation Trim Castle

Sehenswürdigkeiten in Newtown Trim
ohne Geokoordinaten:


    Trim Castle in Trim (Grafschaft Meath, Irland) ist ein normannisches Kastell aus dem 12. Jahrhundert. Gebaut in einem Areal von etwa 30.000 m², wird es als das ursprünglich größte Kastell in Europa angesehen. Heute sind jedoch nur noch die Ruinen der ehemaligen Burg vorhanden. Geschichte Am Standort des Kastells am Ufer des Flusses Boyne errichteten Hugh de Lacy, der erste Lord of Meath und sein Sohn Walter 1172 zunächst eine Motte mit einem hölzernen Turm, als ersten Akt normannischer Landnahme in Meath. Die Burg wurde rasch ausgebaut und diente als Zentrum des Einflussgebietes der Familie de Lacy in Irland. Sie bot Schutz und wurde dadurch Anziehungspunkt für Handel und Klosterleben. Wissenswertes Die Burg
    Trim Castle (Irish: Caisleán Bhaile Atha Troim), Trim, County Meath, Ireland, on the bank of the Boyne has an area of 30,000 m². It is the remains of Ireland's largest Anglo-Norman castle. It was built primarily by Hugh de Lacy and his son Walter. The Castle was used as a centre of Norman administration for the Liberty of Meath, one of the new administrative areas of Ireland created by Henry II of England and granted to Hugh de Lacy. de Lacy took possession of it in 1172. De Lacy built a huge ringwork castle defended by a stout double palisade and external ditch on top of the hill. There may also have been further defences around the cliffs fringing the high ground. Part of a stone footed timber gatehouse lies beneath the present stone gate at the west side of the castle. The ringwork was attacked and burnt by the Irish but De Lacy immediately rebuilt it in 1173. His son Walter continued rebuilding and the castle was completed c 1224. The next phase of the castle’s construction took place at the end of the 13th century, and the beginning of the 14th century. A new great hall with undercroft and attached solar in a radically altered curtain tower, a new forebuilding, and stables were added to the keep. After de genneville's death his widow Joan married Roger Mortimer and the castle passed to the Mortimer family who held it until Edward IV became lord of Trim in 1461.

Art der Sehenswürdigkeit: burg

Infos zu Geokoordinaten/Quellen:
Geokoordinaten (Y,X bzw. LAT,LON):   53.54999900,-6.79444400

Quelle:   Koordinaten aus Wikipedia (zuverlässig)

Infos und Links:

N/A